A Travellerspoint blog

Cruise Day Forty Six - Fremantle and Home

Tuesday, 23 February 2016

View 2016 Indian Ocean on greynomadm's travel map.

Right on schedule we sailed into the port of Fremantle and time for us to grab a breakfast for the last time this cruise. There's a busy atmosphere in the Horizon Court with farewell chats, promises being made to keep in touch and email addresses being exchanged. We're in no hurry as our disembarkation is not scheduled until 09:50. We've been asked to vacate the cabin by 08:00 so we head for the Vista Lounge which is our assembly point.

Shortly after 10:00 our group is announced and we head to the gangway at Deck 7 Fwd. We're checked by the Border Protection Force and our entry form scrutinised. We've ticked Yes for drugs and medications and were complimented by the official. He commented that we were one of very few that made an accurate declaration. He said that given the ages of the passengers he'd be confident to over 90% could be fined for making a false declaration. We've never bothered declaring our medication but there were rumours on board that the Border force was getting tougher.

Picked up our luggage and walked through to where our transfer bus was waiting to take us to the airport. There was a delay as one couple had been held up in Quarantine for an inspection of some of their items. Our transfer was uneventful and we checked our baggage and were given Emergency Exit seats for the additional leg room. We sat at the second-rate Departure Lounge - without an air-bridge - for almost 3 hours. It was interesting to see the 'fly in, fly out' workers check through, many of them dressed in HiVis work gear and safety boots.

When it came time for us to board, the check-in operator questioned Jenny's walking stick and the allocation of the Emergency Exit seats. Jen had pulled out the stick because we faced a long walk out to the aircraft. We were directed back to the Customer Service Desk to be allocated alternative seating. It all worked out in the end.

The flight was routine and the cabin service was excellent, four hours after take-off we were back on the ground in Canberra - local time 22:30. Natalie was there to take us home even though we'd offered to catch a taxi home. She caught up on some pent up news and even stayed for an extended chat when we got home.

I'm dreading the days ahead as we restock the fridge and the pantry, catch up on the mail and rediscover my way around the unit.

This is the last entry in this blog, thanks for following me. There appear to be at least 40 or so views each day.

Wishing you good health and safe travel.
Have a great day and stay well.
Cheers .. Tony

Posted by greynomadm 14:39 Archived in Australia

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents


Where to next and when? I can't wait for another blog from your next cruise.

by littlesis44

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint